About Us

History of the Depot Market building

In the 1880’s, two train stations were built in Courtland, one on the mainline of the Rock Island and the other on the Sante Fe.  In 1918, sparks from a burning livery stable blew across town, ignited the roof, and destroyed the Rock Island Depot which was located where Hansen Mueller is today.  A boxcar was used as a depot temporarily until sometime in 1919 when the Sante Fe depot was cut in half and moved two blocks south to the junction of the Rock Island and Santa Fe.  A twenty -foot section was added to the middle of this building to facilitate the commerce of both rail lines.  For many years, the depot employed a telegraph operator, depot agent, and clerk.  Additionally, a switch board operator worked outside.  As many as 20 trains a day came through on the Rock Island, including the Rocket (Chicago to Denver) and five trains daily on the Santa Fe.